Wednesday 11 February 2009

Martin Slater MP Retires - a nation cheers


As predicted, rather than loose, Martin Salter has decided to step down as an MP.
He has been in power as MP and Cllr for 25 years, which quite frankly is about as much as anyone can take.

The question now is, who will be his possible sucessor as Labour candidate?
At Janestheone and muckspreading the speculation is that ex MP Jane will be selected, which seems rather unlikely.

He said '.. after much thought I have decided that a quarter of a century is long enough to serve as a public representative and I am therefore announcing this week that I do not intend to seek re-election at the next general election.'

'.. I really do want to move on and do something else with my life whilst I’ve still got some energy left.' He isn't that old, but with the Golden plated pension scheme MPs get perhaps he can afford to retire.

See this for some of the reasons I oppose him.

It will mean that at the next General Election in Reading West I will be the only one who stood last time!

2 comments:

Red Green Nick said...

I think Martin Slater should become a fisherman, that seems to be his main interest in life and its harmless.

Adrian Windisch said...

Not harmless to fish.