Tuesday 3 March 2015

Walking Britain


As a keen walker myself it gives me great pleasure to read your email and support the walking Britain campaign. Having two small children has meant I haven't done much recently but I used to love the ridgeway, thames path or Kennet and Avon Canal to Avonmouth. 




Mr Adrian Windisch 

Dear Mr Windisch,

I’m a keen walker and love walking in our area. I wonder if you enjoy the outdoors and if there are any particular places in our area where you like to go to take a stroll and relax?  

Ahead of the election, I’d like to know whether you and your party support the creation of a Walking Britain in the next Parliament. I’d like to see the next government do more to:

* Promote active, healthy lifestyles through walking 
* Protect the places where people walk 
* Improve access to the outdoors 

According to Walking Works, a report produced by the Ramblers and Macmillan: http://bit.ly/1f9wEWe

* Regular walking can reduce the risk of developing heart disease, stroke, diabetes, Alzheimer’s and some cancers by between 20 and up to 50%.
* Walking can reduce the chances of developing depression by up to 30%.
* In addition, walkers spend over £6 billion a year, supporting up to 245,000 full time jobs

Of all the wonderful benefits of walking, which of the following is most important to our area? 

* Improved health
* Greener transport 
* Decreased social isolation 
* Economic benefits 

I look forward to hearing from you.

With thanks and kind regards

No comments: