Tuesday 3 February 2009

Snow Reveals Lack Of Insulation



As discussed by barkingside21, some snow falling will help reveal who has an insulated house. In most houses the heat rises and will melt any on your roof. Those with adequate loft insulation should keep their snow the longest in a row of similar homes.


In an uninsulated home a quarter of your heat is lost through the roof. Insulating your loft is a simple and effective way to reduce your heating bills and you can even do it yourself. A few decades ago 100mm was recommended and most people still have this, I've gone for 300mm so keep my heat inside my house.

If you currently have no loft insulation and you install the recommended 270mm depth you could save around £205 a year on your heating bills and around 1 tonne of carbon dioxide (CO 2) per year.

In the picture above you can see my house in the middle, with snow on the roof and solar panels collecting power even when its snowing. Rather than attempt to put them on my south facing roof, I decided to try them out hanging in my south facing window, they seem to work well. I use them to charge batteries and my phone.

No comments: